Starting with Basic German that assumes no prior knowledge of the language, we offer undergraduate courses all the way to upper-division courses that focus on advanced topics in German literature, film, and culture. Students who graduate from the German program at UNM will learn:
- to express themselves fluently and confidently in the German language,
- to successfully navigate the cultural environments of German-speaking countries, and
- to become perceptive readers, listeners, and viewers of German texts, films, and other media.
German Placement Evaluations
All students enrolling in German 101, 102, 275, 201, 202 and 276 who have not already taken German courses at UNM are required to take an online placement test.
Note: Your exam results must be turned in to your instructor during the first week of class.
Students must see the German Summer School program coordinator in Ortega 229B (277-7367) M-F 8-12 & 1-5 or may email at email@example.com to receive an anonymous log-in ID and password for the placement test. The student can use any computer that has headphones (or speakers, for your home computer) and QuickTime or Real Audio plug-ins.
The portal contains links to 3 resources:
- Accent sheets (for typing accented characters),
- Take A Placement Test (start taking the test here), and
- Placement Results (test result).
Taking The German Test
- Click "Take a Placement Test".
- Click "Log-in to the Tests". This will open a new browser window without navigation buttons. (Caution: Using browser navigation buttons at any time during the test will cause your answers to be saved incorrectly!)
- Log in with your anonymous log-in ID and password.
- Click the radio button next to "UNM German Test" and then click the button "Start test".
- Make sure you understand the user agreement, then click the button "I accept".
- Read the "instructions" page carefully, then begin the test.
- When you have completed all sections (1-8), be sure to click the button
- "Commit Answers/Finish Test" so your answers can be evaluated.
- Log back in to http://placement-test.mmlc.northwestern.edu/external/unm/ with your log-in ID and password.
- Click on the button "Placement Results". You will see the percentage you scored. Print out this page. Write your name in the top right-hand corner.
- During the first or second class meeting, provide the print-out to your instructor so he or she can see whether you are enrolled in the appropriate class level.
In addition to our on-campus course offerings, every summer German students also have the unique opportunity of earning credit by enrolling for the German Summer School, an intensive 4 ½-week immersion program conducted in Taos Ski Valley, NM. The intensive nature of this program, including interaction with visiting scholars and teachers from across the U.S., Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, often enables students to advance an entire level in the course of one full session. Scholarships are available. For more information please see the weblink or contact German Summer School Office at 505-277-7367.
Undergraduate Advisor - Susanne Baackmann